Sunday, November 11, 2007

11/10/07






I started this blog in an effort to force myself to try some different things. It dawned on me a while back that I've been doing caricatures for almost 20 years(or more???) and all I could really do was front face caricature. I'm really trying to do some three quarter views, as I think you can see so much more information about the face from this angle...but I am having SUCH a hard time with it. It's one thing to know a theory about how and why something works, the APPLICATION of that theory,...well, that can be an entirely different animal!

I did a gig yesterday with some great friends, and really talented artists here in Tampa. I only had a hand full of sketches that I liked, but what I'm happiest about is that I kept trying the different approaches even though I was uncomfortable doing them. For me, it's very difficult to try new things in public. I guess I've been doing this long enough that I don't want to look like I dont know what I'm doing. It's really hard to break out of that comfort zone for me.

These are some of the sketches from yesterday.

2 comments:

Joe Bluhm said...

I'm glad you're working in 3/4... keep at it, and don't back down from trying it all the time. There are elements in a few of these sketches that are coming around properly.

One way to do it is to keep big sweeping curves and simple straight lines in sort of a pre-sketch... even if you don't plan on always using a quick gesture, try it for the 3/4 and you'll solve some issues a bit quicker, like the space between the cheek/eye and the ear, as well as the angle on the eyes and dimension in the face.

I can't wait to see more.

Elgin Subwaysurfer Bolling said...

Nice to know that even the masters have trouble with things. Ive been working in 3/4 view for so long I really struggle with frontal views.
I echo everything joe says and addition to that invision the face as one girant clay sculpture.